#sparechangeproject / 1

Let's Eat / 8
August 6, 2014
Gettin' Touchy
August 13, 2014

#sparechangeproject / 1

We spent the weekend doing the furniture-shifting-dance between our new Nashville cottage and our new and needed storage facility, yet again. It’s such a hard thing to wave bye-bye to furniture just so it can sit in a “box” unused. I can’t wait until we get an extension on this house/find another house and let those stored pieces out to play. In the meantime, we have been working with what we got. If you are keeping track, we had to put the dining room table, coffee table, pillars, the awesome table Joey built, and various tid bits to storage. We sold a few items, and I am still “forcing” a few, but I know I will cave-and-release them soon enough.

Engineer Print Frame

When I found out  a few years back that you could get an engineer print at Staples (and I am sure her printing places) for near change, I knew I had to take advantage in some way. After a few failed projects, I used this service for Rich Hippies here and there, but not for anything wildly creative. We though about just getting some prints made and then framed professionally, but something feels wrong about spending $1.79 on a 18X24 print, and then spending $300 to frame it. So wrong.

dining room diy

This patch of space at the end of our new dining table needed something, and we didn’t want to commit to another gallery wall right away, so we figured this would be a good start to our future addiction to engineer print framing and hanging.

making a house a home I Engineer Print Frame I happilycuratedchaos.com

We went to Home Depot (because on the one by us in Nashville is soooooo much better/nicer/friendlier than the one in New York we avoided), and they had these 3″ wide pieces of wood that were 24″ long, and one dolla! Yep, $1 each wound up running $8 for two frame. Seems kind of perfect when the engineer print is 18″X24″. You only need to make two cuts per frame. Awesome.

making a house a home I Engineer Print Frame I happilycuratedchaos.com

We centered the engineer print on a piece of plywood that ran $8 for a piece big enough for two prints. We cut that in half at home. Being the border wood was thick and forgiving, we were able to play around with positioning until it felt right. We then positioned the frame over it before we sprayed it white to double check that it all played nicely together. This guy needed a tiny hair cut.

making a house a home I Engineer Print Frame I happilycuratedchaos.com

We used some basic spray glue from a can (which did an awesome and not soaking job) on affixing the paper to the wood. We then painted the frame white with spray paint. Once everything we dry, we used a staple gun (shooting the staples from back to front, making sure the staples were shorter than the plywood married with the frame, but longer than the plywood). Then we hung. Cheap and easy.

making a house a home I Engineer Print Frame I happilycuratedchaos.com

Since we shot this project, we have removed the table Joey built and centered the dining table to the new hanging pictures. We dig them and were inspired to start a series of #sparechangeproject ! If you have instagram, give us a follow and tag @makingahouseahome + #sparechangeproject – I would be so much more grateful than you can imagine!

making a house a home I Engineer Print Frame I happilycuratedchaos.com

making a house a home I Engineer Print Frame I happilycuratedchaos.com

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *